frog and princess(?)

Valerie J Roebuck vjroebuck at APPLEONLINE.NET
Fri Jul 21 07:17:54 UTC 2000

Further thoughts on the mysterious statue: in South India, metal images* of
deities are cast solid, but other figures--donors, ornamental figures
etc--don't have to be.  Your friend can probably check this by eye, or at
least by the weight of the piece.  This would at least give a clue what
*kind* of image this is.

Valerie J Roebuck
Manchester, UK

*  generally but not quite accurately called "bronzes", since they're made
of a different alloy of copper.

Vidyasankar Sundaresan writes

>A friend sent me pictures of a small statue, that he would
>like to identify (place/period/myth behind it). It is a very
>realistic depiction of a frog with a woman (princess/goddess?)
>sitting on the left hind leg. Images of varAha or narasimha
>with bhU/SrI are common, but I can't think of any Indian myths
>involving a frog with a wife. The only woman I can think of is
>maNDodarI, wife of rAvaNa, but then, maNDodarI is not the wife
>of a maNDUka, so this is puzzling.

I wrote