Indus Valley Civilization, geometrical knowledge

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen tlk at POST.COM
Thu Jul 20 15:30:10 UTC 2000

[I am cross-posting this letter both to the Indology list and the Math
History list -- I apologise if someone receive this twice.]

Dear list members,

In 1978 Dr. R. P. Kulkarni published an article where he examined
the geometrical knowledge available to the ancient people of the
Indus Valley civilization (Indian Journal of History of Science, Vol.
13, pp. 117-124).  It was later later reprinted as a chapter in his
book "Geometry According to Sulba Sutra" (Pune: Vaidika
Samsodhana Mandala, 1983).  Based on the works of Mackay and
Marshall Dr. Kulkarni presents a list of geometrical propositions
that the Indus Valley people must have known.

This is the only work of this type that I am aware of.  Is anyone
aware of other works of this type, i.e. studies of the level of
mathematical knowledge available in the Indus Valley civilization?
Any comments would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Toke Lindegaard Knudsen