SV: Viveka & Rta/Satya

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Thu Jul 20 11:23:32 UTC 2000

Arun Gupta [SMTP:suvidya at WORLDNET.ATT.NET] skrev 20. juli 2000 12:42:

> While such a speech in that forum would not normally belong in Indology,
the
> "70 centuries" of brahminic contribution proudly mentioned by one of the
> leading neurosurgeons of India should be of some concern to Indologists.

> If you object to a leading neurosurgeon of India believing in this,
> I hope you are equally concerned about neurosurgeons who believe that
> God created Adam, that Moses parted the sea, the Virgin Birth, the
> Resurrection and other such varieties of superstitious belief.
> Admittedly, Indology would not be the right place to raise such a
> concern.

> My point simply is that "70 centuries" is a variety of religious belief,
> one that takes the chronology of the Puranas literally, exactly as the
> Christian beliefs I mentioned take the word of the Bible literally.

I'll agree with that. But I would also like to point out that if the
religious or political beliefs of our doctors and dentists are used as a
criterion when we choose them, I fear that many of us would prefer to
remain sick and stick to our toothaches. Luckily, there is little
connection between a man's professional capacities and his personal
beliefs.

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,