frog and princess(?)

Thu Jul 20 08:03:46 UTC 2000

A query for art experts on the list -

A friend sent me pictures of a small statue, that he would
like to identify (place/period/myth behind it). It is a very
realistic depiction of a frog with a woman (princess/goddess?)
sitting on the left hind leg. Images of varAha or narasimha
with bhU/SrI are common, but I can't think of any Indian myths
involving a frog with a wife. The only woman I can think of is
maNDodarI, wife of rAvaNa, but then, maNDodarI is not the wife
of a maNDUka, so this is puzzling. I've asked Dominik to put up
the pictures of the frog+woman statue at the Indology website,
hoping that someone can throw some light on it. Please see,

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/members/sundaresan/

Best wishes,
Vidyasankar