[Similes & Metaphors]

Jogesh Panda jogeshpanda at NETSCAPE.NET
Wed Jul 19 19:30:58 UTC 2000

Stephen Hodge <s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK> wrote:
Many Indian philosophical texts have a liking for similes and
metaphors to illustrate the point in hand -- certainly Buddhist texts
I read have a great number of these.  Some are well-known stock
similes but others are more unusual.   I was wondering if anybody has
researched or compiled a list of such similes ?

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge

The only book of its kind, as far as I know, is the "LaukikanyAyAJjaliH: A
Handful of Popular maxims current in Saskrit Literature", in three parts, by
G.A. Jacob.

The three-volume[four parts]Bengali language "BhAratIya darzana koSa" by
Srimohan Bhattacharya and Dinesh Chandra Bhattacharya deals with most of the
similes and metaphors [the nyAyas]in the relevant sections.

Best wishes.

Jogesh Panda