taqdiir kaa sikandar

Rajarshi Banerjee rajarshi.banerjee at SMGINC.COM
Wed Jul 19 14:56:10 UTC 2000

(an Alexander in fortune > very lucky person)

 How common is "taqdiir kaa sikandar" as an expression
 in Urdu? in Hindi?

 Any other Indian languages have equivalents (with sikandar)?

 Has Alexander's name been remembered in India/Pakistan ever
 since his trip to Pakistan?

RB> Bucephalus is supposed to have been buried in pakistan. Is there any
site?

 Do other expressions with 'sikandar' exist in
 Urdu and Hindi?

RB> muqaddar kA sikandar:  a popular hindi film.

the word sikandar comes from the arabic persian/world to india and is urdu
ranther hindi. There is no pre islamic memory of alexander in india/pakistan
as far as I have heard. Greek kings/satraps like antiochus and demetrius and
selucus(not sure?) have been mentioned but not alexander.

In fact I am not even sure if there any indian records which mention ambhi
and paruravas (porus). A popular TV series chanakya showed chanakya
interacting with porus wonder what the basis for such stories are.