INDOLOGY management

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sun Jul 16 11:48:05 UTC 2000

Because things have got a bit argumentative recently, and because I feel
free to cancel subscriptions of people who I think have been rude, several
members of the list have written to me to tell me their views.  Either I'm
doing a great job, or I'm not.  I should have done this, or that, etc.
etc.

Please note two things:  I have engaged in private email exchanges with
several of the people involved in the recent scuffles.  These exchanges
are unknown to members of the list, as I intend them to be.  But members
are wrong to assume that just because they do not see a public message
from me to someone on the list that I have not corresponded with that
person.  Actually, I only make email meta-exchanges public when I think
there is a sufficiently good reason to do so.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes that is not publicly shared on
the list.

Secondly, I cannot engage in long discussions with individual members
about what I've done, or failed to do, simply because the time I devote to
running the list is limited.  This limitation leads me to mistakes of
comission and omission sometimes, I know.  For that I can only apologise.
Many of the emails I receive about my management of the list are angry,
vindictive, and rude, and full of accusations of bias and so forth.  Most
of these charges are based on hasty judgements, partial knowledge of the
communications that have actually taken place, and so forth.  I can't and
won't explain all details of and reasons for what I've done to every
person that emails me.

The INDOLOGY list is meant (deep breath) for the discussion of issues
relating to classical India.  There are now many other forums available
for similar types of discussion.  I founded INDOLOGY and I have certain
proprietarial feelings about it.  I absolutely insist on a basic minimum
standard of politeness and good order.  People who insult other members
(in my judgement) will have their memberships cancelled.  People who post
very long messages, or who monopolize the discussion through excessively
frequent postings will also be warned, and possibly unsubscribed.

All the best
Dominik

--
Dominik Wujastyk