Viveka & Rta/Satya

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 15 13:43:48 UTC 2000

Despite the advice given to leave them out, comments by the
eminent neurosurgeon (retired) Dr. Ramamurthi shows that he is
not a 'closet' hindutvavAdi. Not just him alone, English and Indian
language newspapers pour out articles in increasing number
about the Rigveda's age to be 70 centuries or more, Vedic Harappans,
etc., proved by Sarasvati river photographed from deep space by
NASA scientists! One has to wonder whether all this rhetorics
will lead to violence?

Over the years, I have never seen many/any postings on Dravidian
or Munda data from professionals in this scholarly forum.
The appeal is to increase the number of endowments and professorships
on Dravidology, once the linguistic, etymon, textual analysis
from the Dravidian and Munda side increase and when comparative
studies between intra-Indian  cultures prosper, these ridiculous
claims that Aryans were the high Harappans will fade away.
It always strikes me how the Dravidology is not instituitionally
funded with staffing and resources, when compared with, say,
the big full-time publishing industry of the Sankara studies;
Sankara probably lived around 900 CE and the Sankara maths, both
Kanchi and Sringeri, were not founded until after several centuries
of his death. The story that Sankara founded 4 mathas in the
four corners of India is even much later, starting only in the
Maratha times.

As we all know, the out-of-India schoolwallahs' market is the
capturing of the masses in India, and their efforts mainly are
directed towards the Indian public. They know that they cannot
convince the professors in the Indian studies and Sanskrit depts.
Most prominent of them choose to leave, and do not argue out
their OIT positions.

Regards,
N. Ganesan