Date of Udhayana

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 14 16:04:04 UTC 2000

Birgit Kellner writes :

>Anyway, good luck and much success with whatever further research you might
>want to carry out on this subject,

You shame me with your graciousness. I'm sorry that in the heat of the
argument I overlooked your contribution to the discussion. Many thanks
for all the help.

And incidentally in our discussion I only said that SAntarakshita and
KamalasIla were the last *great* Buddhist philosophers. And my contention
was that Udhayana being the *top* philosopher of the NyAya school might not
have found *worthy* Buddhist opponents. Anyway I accept that this argument
is a bit too vague.

Regarding Vidya's post :

I'm letting all the polemic go by, as I would like to see something
constructive come out of this discussion. And I'm sorry for misspelling
the names - it was not intentional. I'll take more care in the future.

>You apparently don't see why the parataH prAmANya vAda was fundamental to
>nyAya, or why it was never given up.

I'm unable to understand how the "validity of knowledge", seriously
affects the argument for or against a creator God. Can you please explain?

>This sort of "everybody said the same thing" is not my cup of tea.

Who was it who said that? That there's a spiritual unity underlying all
the philosophical systems is hardly, "everybody said the same thing".

>All I'm saying is that there has been an influence of nyAya on advaita.

Well, that's quite a drop from the original "heaviness" of the influence!

>must we all accept your idiosyncratic way of doing things as reasonable?

The "reasonableness" of my "reasonable" is only as idiosyncratic as the
"heaviness" of your "heavy".