Rules of Membership; Harappan deciphered

George Thompson GthomGt at CS.COM
Thu Jul 13 01:14:40 UTC 2000

Well, whether it likes it or not, the List now knows what I think of K. Elst,
as well as his friend, whose name, by the way, I promise *never* to mention
again on this list [so he can call off his lawyers].

I will take Dominik's good advice to 'rein it in.'  I will also try to find
viveka.  But I will continue to say what I think is true, as I tried to do in
my last post, which unfortunately was also tainted by anger.

Now, anger is certainly not a virtue [incompatible as it is with viveka, to
be sure].  And even though this is a scholarly list where anger certainly has
no place,.I just cannot permit myself as a moral person to concede the moral
high ground to a person who actually thinks that Gandhi's attempt to
reconcile with Muslims was a retreat from morality. I just can't do it.

If insisting on this gets me removed from this List, well, I can give the
List up also, if I have to.

Maybe it would lead to my getting more work done [now, *that* is voice of the
scholar in me talking, firmly taking the reins away from the little moralist
in me, whom I hope to subdue, sternly, by means of all kinds of difficult and
distracting niyogas].

Best wishes and with all due prAyazcittas,

George Thompson