Dhyani Buddhas ?

Ven. Tantra troyoga at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 12 01:38:18 UTC 2000

Re: Message from Stephen Hodge dated Tue, 11 Jul 2000

>> I have been having a rather heated discussion with
somebody about the use and origins of the term "dhyani
Buddha".  I have never come across it in any canonical
Buddist texts but I believe it was a C19th European
invention which should be discarded. <<

How then might one refer to the traditional grouping
of five �dhyani� Buddhas? Is there mandalic
functioning, etc., not of some importance and
therefore worth retaining?

Ven Tantra