Rules of Membership

Bharat Gupt abhinav at DEL3.VSNL.NET.IN
Tue Jul 11 13:48:32 UTC 2000

I regret to observe that the debate is getting clouded by emotions.
I am also wondering if the prohibited subject AIT/OIT has not made a
covert comeback.

I do not see why the 2kb limit should not be observed by ALL. And if
concessions are to be provided, then they are better spelt out by the Listmaster
rather than  be left to members' interpretations.

Lastly, one person's satire is another person's insult. It is news to me that
this list is also meant for promoting Voltaires and Dr. Johnsons. May I humbly
suggest that those of us who pride themselves in their satirical capabilities
should compose independent works and find publishers (which I am sure they will).
At least, they shall pass the humour market test, whereas on the list their talents
will go unassessed.

The need of the hour is dispassionate argument. Can we go back to it please ?

regards,
Bharat Gupt,  Associate Professor, Delhi University
PO Box 8518, Ashok Vihar, Delhi 110052  INDIA