Hydronomy of Tamil rivers (Re: Again, SANSKRIT broadcasts)

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 10 13:26:59 UTC 2000

>>If I were to consider your proposed etymology for
>>noyyal, it still doesn't address the issue of the
>>suffix *al. This is typically an infinitive ending and
>>a  verbal noun forming suffix so I wonder what it's
>>doing in a river name.

 Like kAn2/kAn2al, maN/maNal, nolai/nolaiyal which are nouns
with -al endings formed from non-verbs mentioned, Tamil toponyms
with -al endings are:
kOval (a srivaishnava tiruppati), cikkal, cuziyal,
cEynjal, nAval, marukal, mAkaRal, paRiyal, jnAzal, ...

noyyal can be like one of these.

Regards,
SM