[Re: [European contacts with India]]

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Sat Jul 8 17:00:22 UTC 2000

Jogesh Panda wrote:

Don't you think that any claim, McEvilley's or whosoever's, without
proof, is
another name for pUrvAgrahaH [prejudice or predisposition]?

*********
I don't recall making any claims nor does McEvilley as far as I can
see.  But no, I would call this a hypothesis which then needs to be
tested and evaulated.  If the facts -- no matter how surprising --
fit, then it can be provisionally accepted.  If not, then it remains a
hypothesis which can be discarded if shown to be completely false.
To my mind, it is just as much a prejudice to dismiss any hypothesis
without contrary proof as it it to assert a claim without proof.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge