h after t and d in S. Indian transliterations

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 7 14:49:53 UTC 2000

  Normally, Indians transliterate the english letter t which is alveolar
into a retroflex. Eg., the english word, tea becomes ".tii" in all of India.
When S. Indians started going to schools with English as the language of
instruction, they just used "h" following english practice as seen in
a) Thames, Thomas b) chirp c) Shannon etc., Tamil and Drav., in general
have no aspirates. So, the problem of what to do for the aspirates
for N. Indian languages does not arise. In S. India, (Harvard-Kyoto
convention) "t" => th, (HK) S(.s) => sh, (HK) z("s) => sh  and so on
is used in English. Whereas in the North or among Sanskritists,
"h" is reserved for representing aspirates.