European contacts with India

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Jul 7 00:15:10 UTC 2000

Dr Fosse wrote:
> Why do we have to suppose a flow of ideas in the connection with
> scepticism? Sceptics have been found everywhere, I believe, since
times
> immemorial.

True but there are quite specific features of Pyrrhonism and
Madhyamika in common over and above mere scepticism that have led to
the theory that there was some sort of direct contact.  There was an
article in the Philosophy East & West sometime in the 80s which went
into this in detail.  My back numbers are all in storage so I regret I
can't give you the exact reference.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge