Pronunciation of l before k

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Thu Jul 6 19:29:22 UTC 2000

The contextual (allophonic) pronunciations of Sanskrit sounds are not
studied by Sanskrit grammarians and phoneticians, except perhaps in the
context of what is called faults of pronunciation (uccaara.nado.sa), cf.
chapters in texts like the .Rk-Praatizaakhya and Mahaabhaa.sya.  I have a
feeling that with the emergence of Sanskrit phonetics and grammar, a high
value was placed on the distinctness of sounds (their phonemic value?) but
not on their contextual variation, except what could be represented in
terms of discret sounds (var.na).  The sub-var.na (sub-phonemic /
allo-phonemic) phonology of Sanskrit was not pursued as vigorously.
Occasional references to sub-phonemic variation do pop up in texts, but
there is no systematic treatment.  There is a passage in Kaiya.ta's
Pradeepa where he refers to something like voicing of k occurring between
two vowels.  This would show a Prakritic tendency at sub-phonemic level in
spoken Sanskrit.  If I can locate the passage, I will be more precise.
But such statements can be collected and studied.  Best,
                                        Madhav Deshpande