Harappan 'non-texts' (& more for V. Roebuck)

Steve Farmer saf at SAFARMER.COM
Tue Jul 4 02:02:26 UTC 2000

L.S. Cousins writes, re my argument that there were no extended
Harappan texts:

But George Thompson writes:

> Maybe it would be better to call Steve's position an argument *for*
> silence, instead of an argument *from* silence*, since in fact the evidence
> seems to be, in a very real sense, silent: it does not, at all, tell us all
> of the amazing things that have been claimed for it.

What I thought was novel in the argument -- and I claimed this in the
original post -- was that it *wasn't* an argument from silence at all.
Reports of the first IVC seal were published in 1875, and since then
we've found thousands more of the same. That provides a pretty solid
empirical foundation for drawing conclusions. The evidence strongly
suggests an anomalous continuity in logographic forms that is unlike
anything found in any premodern civilization where normal scribal
pressures for simplification existed. This is *positive* evidence that
the script was not used to create an extensive 'lost literature.' If
the literature had existed the scribal pressure would be evident. That
is not an 'argument from silence.'

The same conclusion comes when we consider the unusually low frequency
of occurrences of the majority of IVC signs: Empirical evidence of
this was provided in my original post. This is *positive* evidence
that the majority of Harappan signs remained logographic throughout
its history -- indicating again that normal scribal pressures towards
syllabic forms, arising from widespread literary use of the script,
were absent. This is again *not* an 'argument from silence' as that
phrase is normally used. The consistently elevated number of logograms
in every period of Harappan history stands out like a sore thumb when
compared with the rapid and radical changes taking place in the same
period in Sumerian and Akkadian cuneiform scripts. See here Miguel
Civil, "The Sumerian writing system: some problems," Orientalia NS 42:
21-34, whose data are summarized in Parpola 1994: 35. Here we find the
normal and expected rapid descent in the number of logographic signs
expected in fully literate cultures. Indeed, within a few centuries
the number of cuneiform logograms dropped from a high of 60+ percent
in Sumerian (which was still apparently much lower than the number of
logograms found at *any* point in Harappan script) to a low in
Akkadian -- evolving in just a few centuries -- 3.5 percen! This rapid
evolution in the scripts occurred in exactly the same period that
Harappan script, illustrated in thousands of examples discovered since
the 19th century, showed minimal evolution. This is again a *positive*
suggestion of the lack of normal scribal pressures in Harappan script.
My argument was in no way an 'argument from silence.'

The evidence from comparative history is actually strong indeed. Let
me stick out my neck  -- contra just about everyone -- and predict
outright that NO evidence will EVER be found that there were extended
Harappan texts. If some show up, we would have to revise just about
*everything* we know about the history of writing, gained from long
study in Egypt, Greece (linear B, etc.), the Middle East, China,
Mesoamerica, and many other places. Lots of positive evidence from
comparative history argues against extended texts; not one iota of
positive evidence argues for it; the argument in no way depends on an
'argument from silence.'

More on India/Europe, in response to Valerie Roebuck, as more data
come in:

On translations into European languages in the 16th century of Hindu
texts, see indeed Donald Lach, _Asia in the Making of Europe_, Vol. I,