Q: Manu on Pouring Lead in Sudra Ears

Chris Wallis cw002g at MAIL.ROCHESTER.EDU
Sun Jan 30 19:16:10 UTC 2000

> Q: Why is Manu so generally blamed for this ? Are there perhaps different
> versions of Manu - a stricter Southern version ? Or is it just a case
> of popular misconception ? Is Manu actually innocent ? How common was this
> `pouring lead into ears' as shown by other literature ?

A: A.L. Basham notes that though this punishment is written in the
lawbooks, no skull has ever been found with lead traces; IOW, we have no
evidence that this ever actually occurred (as far as he knew).
"The Origins and Development of Classical Hinduism", p. 10.

Chris Wallis

        Christopher D. Wallis
President, Religion & Classics Council
      Intern, Interfaith Chapel