Sakadwipa (RE: Rising of the sea and other Migration myths)

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 28 14:39:35 UTC 2000

Dear Prof. Vassilkov & Indologists,

Does the churning of the Milky Ocean elaborated in the
MBh. involve Krishna? What later puraNas other than
the one described in van Buitenan and Dimmitt's purana
collection include Krishna in the Churning of the Milky ocean
producing Surabhi, the divinely cow?

True, MBh places the Meru in the east; But remember reading
a paper on Meru by Ian Mabbett a while ago (in the de Jong
comm. vol.?); Usually locating the meru mt. is so vague;
Tamil saiva puranas locate them in the south or srilanka.
Rajaraja Chola called his temple as Meru; Thiruvi.daimarudhur
mahalingeshvarar temple has a famous meru.

Does the churning of the ocean legend involve more of poetic
fancy, something like the Rama building the Sethu bridge
with monkeys and bears?

Regards,
SM