expiation for eating beef

Timothy C. Cahill tccahill at LOYNO.EDU
Wed Jan 26 22:02:44 UTC 2000

Indologists!

   I've been asked if there is any way that a Hindu can 'make up' for
having accidently eaten beef. I checked Indology's archive and went
through many messages under the heading *beef eating in the Veda* which
deal with many aspects of the topic. I also searched under 'expiation' and
read a brief exchange on the Gosava ritual. But I'm wondering if there was
any ritual or procedure (or if one has been developed in modern times)
which is intended to remove the stain of eating beef. I remember the
'panca-gavyam' for returning from abroad, but I've never heard about
anything which would apply specificly to this. Washing in the Ganga is all
I could come up with! I seem to remember an apology that a ritualist gives
to his sacrificial victim --the specific reference to this would be
appreciated.

best,
Tim Cahill