gifts for Sanskrit teachers

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Jan 26 14:35:27 UTC 2000

That's a difficult question, since there are issues of both tradition and
of personal taste involved.  For what it's worth, I once gave my teacher,
V. B. Bhagavat, a basket of mangoes.  He seemed pleased, but it was hard
to tell exactly how he felt, since he is a perfect gentleman.  At other
times I gave him books which I thought he would find interesting (Lyons on
theoretical linguistics, etc.).  Later I was able to fulfill a request by
him for microfilmed MSS at the India Office, and I think that was of more
real use to him.

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.