gifts for Sanskrit teachers

john grimes grimesj at PILOT.MSU.EDU
Wed Jan 26 17:20:33 UTC 2000

According to the Manu Smrti, a bhrtaka adhyapaka/upadhyaya works for wages
- an acarya receives daksina. Maybe (!) if one were to give up one's
salary, the gifts would start rolling in (!)  Of course, it goes without
saying, that one must also truly be an acarya. Ah, the good old days - no
one has yet mentioned cattle, gold, land . . .
John Grimes