Sakadwipa (RE: Rising of the sea and other Migration myths)

Yashwant Malaiya malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Tue Jan 25 18:34:07 UTC 2000

Paul Kekai Manansala wrote:
>Many times it is also placed in the east by implication. For example,
>the Mahabharata, Puranas and many other works locate Sakadwipa in the
>east, and the milky ocean is said to surround this island.

I have assumed that Sakadwipa is the land beyond Hindukush
from where the Maga came from, and the descendants of some
of them are know as the Sakadvipis in Bihar.

What specific clues Mahabharata and Puranas have regarding its
location?

Yashwant