Vedic accent in taittiriya samhita

Sun Jan 23 06:29:41 UTC 2000

I wrote earlier:

>If the Sruti references are to
>musical intervals, udaatta is four Srutis away from which note? And
>anudaatta is two Srutis away from which note? It is quite standard to say
>that Sa is four Srutis and Ni is two Srutis, but here the references are
>automatically to the previous note in the octave. To elaborate, Sa is four
>Srutis away from Ni, and Ni is two Srutis away from Dha. Even if the
>recitation has increasingly become musicalized, is it valid to apply
>concepts based on an entire octave to a recitation scheme that involves a
>much more restricted range of pitches?

To further clarify my query, given that pitch values are being associated
with the terms udaatta, anudaatta and svarita, there can be only two
intervals among three notes. The absolute pitch of one note has to be
arbitrary, and the other two can be defined relatively. That is why I am
puzzled how any sense can be made out of assigning 4, 2 and 3 Srutis to
udaatta, anudaatta and svarita.

Vidyasankar