Dating the Veda: Using the Horse and Planets

S.Kalyanaraman kalyan99 at NETSCAPE.NET
Wed Jan 19 11:49:31 UTC 2000

> Vidhyanath Rao <rao.3 at OSU.EDU> wrote:
> > This reminds me of a question I have been searching for an answer to: Do
languages of NW (including Gujarat, Sindh) reliably distinguish between the
ass/donkey (Equus asinus) and the hemione (E heminous), subspecies Khur?
[Sanskrit doen't seem to.]

I apologise for the bloomer in a line in my earlier posting; it should read:

Punjabi has the followins semantic expansions attesting to the use of as'va as
a reference to any (animal) which leads, can be mounted, yoked etc.:

aswa_r = mounted, riding (on anything); a rider, a mounted soldier
aswa_ri_ = conveyance (as a horse, elephant, camel, carriage etc.) (Is this
cognate with as'va_ro_ha = rider? (CDIAL 929) In Gujarati: sava_r (fr.
as'va_ro_ha Skt.) = a rider.

I may add that as'vatara refers to a mule. Pali lexicon (Rhys Davids) has this
note: assatara = val.ava_ya gadrabhena ja_ta.

Regards,
Kalyanaraman

http://webmail.netscape.com.