Hindi Typewriters (RE: Samyuktaksaras (Was: Vital Statistics))

Yashwant Malaiya malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU
Tue Jan 11 20:29:22 UTC 2000

I've also wondered about when Hindi typewriters arrived on the scene.

They were there in 60's. They were quite common, although more expensive
than English ones. They must still be common.

With computer aided typing/typesetting, conjuncts are no longer a
major problem. Many of the Devanagri fonts include samyuktaksharas that
were rare in mechanically typeset text. The software often
automatically identifies the appropriate  samyuktakshara.

Hindi typewriters were already there in 1963 or so, as I remember.

Yashwant

Rajarshi Banerjee  wrote:
> I always wonder about type-writers for hindi, how did they manage, they
> must have  existed. I dont recall ever seeing one.

Swaminathan Madhuresan