Typographical error in the Bhagavad-Gita?

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Sun Jan 9 08:04:36 UTC 2000

Martin Gansten wrote:

> >What else could Krisna be talking
> >about. The new idea offered is salvation through taking refuge in the
> >deity as versus the older order of karmic evolution.
>
> This 'new' idea is not introduced by the Gita; it is found in several of
> the later classical Upanishads (e.g., Svet. 6.18). And the older
> Upanishadic idea was not salvation by evolution, but salvation by gnosis.
> Nor is this doctrine rejected by the Gita; rather, taking refuge in the
> deity is seen as conducive to gnosis (e.g., BhG 10.11).
>
> I won't comment further on this thread, but I do suggest that anyone
> interested in theorizing about the Gita give it (and its major
> source-texts) a thorough reading-through first.

There are many that have who have a quite different interpretation that
what you give.  True that some of the ideas found in the Gita are found
in the Upanishads, and Buddhists and Jainas certainly had their own
ideas about enlightenment.

However, to say that Krisna is not introducing a new concept in the Gita
is something I can't agree with and I have read the book.

Where do you read that transmigration is seen only as an endless cycle
without regard to karma?  Sounds totally novel to me.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala

--
Check out http://AsiaPacificUniverse.com/