AIT, NEW genetic evidence

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 29 14:41:26 UTC 2000

>>Archery is old, but I am told archers on chariots in India is
>>post-1700 BCE.

RB> I believe there is no evidence of chaiots but just horses in India
RB>e.g. baluchistan around 1700 BC. Is there an archeological trace of
RB>chariots in India? Ofcourse they are found in egypt, mesopotamia,
RB>syria and turkey from around this time but what about India? Did
RB>they all rot? What about iconography?

  Texts speak of chariots in India. Sparreboom, Chariots in the Veda.
Barbarian tides, Timeframe 1500-600 BC, Time-Life books, p.129
has a caption for a picture. "The bow ruins the enemy's pleasure; with
the bow let us conquer all the corners of the world.... Once shot,
fly far away, arrow, sharpened with prayer. Go straight to our foes,
and do not leave a single one of them there. - from the Rig Veda."

Is the Archery in the Vedas analyzed anywhere?

RB>It is unatural to assume that PIE suddenly appeared in complete
RB>isolation. There must have been ancetors, neighbouring languages,
RB>daughter languages through out its history. India's oldest attested
RB>IE language has voiced aspirates, retroflexion, geminates,.. which
RB>are fairly well entrenched but not found in most other IE languages.
RB>This might indicate a long period of isolated development within
RB>India. SOme harappans might have spoken it. I would hardly swear byit
RB>but it is as good a conjecture as any.

Are you talking of the 19th c. guess that PIE home is India?

Regards,
SM