'INDIA ABROAD' on new textbooks

Shrisha Rao shrao at IA.NET
Mon Feb 28 17:56:44 UTC 2000

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Michael Witzel wrote:

> For, an Indian scientist friend of mine has drawn my attention to a
> troubling report in INDIA ABROAD,  January 21, 2000, hidden away on the
> OPINION page.

I read the article with some interest, but find little that would be
troubling.  Not because I agree with the ludicrous ideas expressed by
Joshi, et al., but because such ideas will inevitably die on the vine.

However, I must add that Praful Bidwai isn't the most credible person one
could find to write a proper rebuttal.  He has no credentials as a
historian, and his bilious comments might actually have the opposite
effect from what is evidently his intention.  Specifically, it is to be
recognized that pride in Indian-ness is a socially, or perhaps even
historically, legitimate sentiment in Indian minds, and to deny this
outright would doubtless do more to legitimize extreme nationalism.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao