Sanskrit Spelling

Ashok Aklujkar aklujkar at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Sun Feb 27 10:15:24 UTC 2000

> From statements such as gaur ity atra ka/h ;sabda/h?
gakaaraukaara-visarjaniiyaa.h ( ;Sabara etc.), it would seem that a word's
spelling, if necessary, was specified by adding -kaara after its
constituent sounds (with some additional terms such as repha for select
sounds or signs). The occasions to spell, however, must have been far fewer
than in, say, English, because, as most students of Sanskrit know, given
the almost perfect fit of most Indic scripts to the sounds of Skt, one
either knows a Skt word or one does not; the 'problem' of spelling as such
does not exist.