Information Request

Mon Feb 21 22:27:27 UTC 2000

Vidya Kamat <davinci at VSNL.COM> wrote:

>The thrust of my query is focused on the area where a male divinity
>appropriates the female organ ( i.e.breasts).

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Tamil legend of Siva disguising
himself as a vaiSya woman and breast-feeding a child, thereby becoming a
mother. Hence he is called tAyumAnavar (he who also became a mother),
Sanskritized as mAtRbhUta. There is a temple in Trichy dedicated to Siva as
mAtRbhUteSvara.

Vidyasankar