Earplugs and ear elongation

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Sun Feb 13 19:12:02 UTC 2000

Geeta Bharathan wrote:

> As far as parts of southern India are concerned, I would say, without
> either academic "Indological" credentials or old texts, that the
> "practice" of ear elongation in recent years, at least, is merely the
> outcome of wearing large, heavy ear ornaments ("ear plugs?")

Not modern earplugs used to protect against noise, but the disc-like
pottery and shell ornaments (usually incised) inserted into large
circular perforations in the lower earlobe.

 When women > stopped wearing these ostentatious ornaments, the practice
of >ear> elongation stopped, too.

So the practice among men must have ended earlier.

>I've seem women of my grandmother's generation
> with elongated years.

Interesting. And don't worry, I won't ask how old you are.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala

--
Check out http://AsiaPacificUniverse.com/