interpretation

Bob Peck rpeck at NECA.COM
Sat Feb 12 19:10:16 UTC 2000

Another possible approach to understanding the ancient writings, requiring
both an academic approach plus experiential, is to first accept that they
are beyond modern experience and perhaps unsupported by tradition. I am an
amateur indologist but a professional scientist and approached some of the
writings as  foreign scientific discourse rather than religious. Science
demands a sequential development of terms that are self-contained in a new
presentation that allows a novice to the language to extract the essential
meaning. Perhaps I was also lucky that I early encountered the ParAtriMshikA
that unfolded nicely yielding some very exciting basic definitions that
could then be applied to other writings. The other scientific necessity is
to comparatively test the findings. Do some of you academics use this
approach?