Narada P. S

Robert P. Goldman sseas at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Feb 3 19:46:23 UTC 2000

Sorry, I failed to note that the reference to GovindarAja is to his
comments on VÇlmÉki RåmÇyaïa 1.1.1.

>On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Jan Brzezinski wrote:
>
>> Any etymologies, fanciful or otherwise, for nArada,
>> the RSi?
>
>I remember that Parbu Bhopo, the Pabuji bard with whom I worked in the 70s
>and 80s, explained the name (with reference to Narada's notoriously
>quarrelsome nature) as meaning "jo duniyAM ko *radd* kartA hai" -- he who
>rejects/opposes the world.
>
>John Smith
>
>--
>Dr J. D. Smith                *  jds10 at cam.ac.uk
>Faculty of Oriental Studies   *  Tel. 01223 335140 (Switchboard 01223 335106)
>Sidgwick Avenue               *  Fax  01223 335110
>Cambridge CB3 9DA             *  http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html

Dr. R. P.  Goldman
Sarah Kailath Professor in India Studies
Professor of Sanskrit and
Chairman,
Center for  South Asia Studies
7303 Dwinelle Hall MC #2540