"Saantideva's "Sik.saasamuccaya

Richard B Mahoney rbm49 at STUDENT.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Sun Dec 31 04:15:06 UTC 2000

Dear Readers,

I'd like to thank those who answered yesterday's query about a passage
from the "Sik.saasamuccaya. Your suggestions, both on and off list,
have been very useful. You are all right. If a passage contains a
relative, then one really should search for its co-relative.

It seems that in the new year I'd better take myself off to
SKT~101. ;-)

Anyway, for those who helped, and for others who may be interested,
here is the whole `sentence.'

 || tadeva.mvidha.m samaagamamaasaadya sa.mv.rtiparamaarthata.h
  suviditasa.msaaradu.skhasyopa"samanasukhaabhilaa.si.no
  buddhagotraanubhaavaattu yasya mahaasatvasyaiva.m
  pratyavek.sotpadyate ||

 yadaa mama pare.saa.m ca bhaya.m du.skha.m ca na priya.m |
  tadaatmana.h ko vi"se.so yatta.m rak.saami netaram | iti

 tenaatmana.h satvadhaato"sca ||

 du.skhaanta.m kartukaamena sukhaanta.m gantumicchataa |
  "sraddhaamuula.m d.r.dhiik.rtya bodhau kaaryaa matird.r.dhaa ||

The following is my attempt at making sense of it. It goes without
saying that I am wholly responsible for all inaccuracies and
stupidities. There are still a number of things about which I'm
unsure, especially the `two-truths' bit and the `buddhagotra' section.

\begin{quotation}
  \noindent
  Having attained birth under favourable conditions, understanding
  well, conventionally and ultimately, the suffering associated with
  cyclic existence, desiring the pleasure of cessation, now, when this
  Mahasattva holds the opinion of the family of the Buddhas,
  accordingly, he enquires\,:\\

  \noindent
  \flqq\,~When fear and suffering are liked neither by myself nor
  others, what is so special about this my self, that I should
  preserve it rather than others\,?~\,\frqq\,\\

  \noindent
  [then it is said] by him, for himself and for the world of sentient
  beings\,:\\

  \noindent
  \flqq\,~He who wishes to destroy suffering, he who strives to reach
  the limits of pleasure, should strengthen the source of faith, and
  firmly set his mind upon
  enlightenment.~\,\frqq\,
  \footnote{\cite[p.~2 lns.~8--14.]{bendall:ciksaasamuccaya}}\\
\end{quotation}

Once again, thankyou for your help. And of course I would welcome any
further comments.

Many regards,

 Richard Mahoney

--
end
Richard Mahoney                              Telephone: +64-3-351-5831
NEW ZEALAND                          mailto:rbm49 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz