Moon and Cycle of death and rebirth

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 31 18:20:11 UTC 2000

In a message dated 12/31/2000 4:14:33 AM Central Standard Time,
MathiasMetzger at AOL.COM writes:

> You should also take a look at the first chapter of the Kaushitaki-Upanishad

Thanks for the reference. This is what I found in S. Radhakrishnan's
translation.

"Then he said, those who, verily, depart from this world, they all in truth,
go to the moon. In the earlier (bright) half, it (the moon) thrives on their
breathing spirits, in the latter (dark) half, it causes them to be born
(again). The moon, verily, is the door of the world of heaven. Whoever
answers it (properly), him it sets free (to go to the highest worlds). But
whoever answers it not, him having become rain, it rains down here..."

This is different from what I was looking for. I was looking for something
similar to the following.

"In this world around which the moon god revolves demonstrating to even
ignorant ones so that they learn that there is decrease (like waning) and
there is increase (like waxing) ; there is dying (like setting) and there is
being born (like rising)...". Thanks in advance.

Regards
S. Palaniappan