"Saantideva's "Sik.saasamuccaya

Richard B Mahoney rbm49 at STUDENT.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Sat Dec 30 04:29:29 UTC 2000

Dear Readers,

It might be a bit late in the year for all this, although judging by
recent postings there are still a good few of you out there.

I can only cross my fingers and hope for the best.

I'm working on "Saantideva's "Sik.saasamuccaya and
"Sik.saasamuccayakaarikaa and having trouble translating a passage in
the body of the "SS which introduces the first "sloka of the
"SSK. This passage follows a section in praise of the advantages of a
fortunate birth (k.sa.na).

If possible, I'd like one or two of you to have a go at this passage
so I can compare your translation with my own and that of Bendall and
Rouse.

Here is the passage in question. It appears reasonably
self-contained. I am transliterating from the Devanaagarii without
separating the words.

|| tadeva.mvidha.m samaagamamaasaadya sa.mv.rtiparamaarthata.h
suviditasa.msaaradu.skhasyopa"samanasukhaabhilaa.si.no
buddhagotraanubhaavaattu yasya mahaasatvasyaiva.m
pratyavek.sotpadyate ||

For those of you with a copy to hand, this passage is from p.~2
lns.~8--9 of:

 Bendall, C., trans., ``"Sik.saasamuccaya, a compendium of Buddhistic
 teaching compiled by "Saantideva chiefly from earlier Mahaayaana
 Suutras'', Bibliotheca Buddhica (St. Petersburg: Commissionaires de
 l'Academie Imperiale des Sciences, 1897--1902)

The only translation I have to hand seems -- although I may well be
wrong -- to be problematic, i.e., pp.~2--3 of:

 Bendall, C. & Rouse, W. H. D. eds., ``"Sik.saa Samuccaya: A
 Compendium of Buddhist Doctrine'' (Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1971)

I would be grateful for any help you could give. I usually bother my
supervisor with things of this sort. Unfortunately he's taking refuge
in the States over summer. 8-(

Many regards and a pleasant and profitable new year,

 Richard Mahoney

--
end
Richard Mahoney                              Telephone: +64-3-351-5831
NEW ZEALAND                          mailto:rbm49 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz