Karnataka/KannaDa (was: Karave caste and Kurus)

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 30 15:57:42 UTC 2000

Dr. N. R. Joshi wrote:
<<<
Raveen Satkurunathan"--Many South Indian derived Sinhalese coastal
castes in Sri Lanka namely Karave---claim that they are descendants
of Kurus of  Mahabharat fame...". I do not know connection between
Karave and Kuru is based on true tradition or just based on phonetic
similitude. I know however that Kurus and Kambojas in the past did
reach Shri Lanka as attested by the presence of these name in the
ancient cave inscriptions of Lanka.The Rajput queen Padmini who
prefered fire to the capture of Allauddin Khilji was the princess of
Lanka from the princely family related to the ancient Kambojas. The
Sinhelese believe their connection to the north-west of the Indian
sub-continent.And the ancient names of states of Gujarat,
Maharashtra,and Karnatak were different. The ancient name of the Jog
fall(near Sharvati) from Karnatak state is available. All this
information project pre-history of India different from the one we
are told to accept without questioning.Thanks.

  What is the ancient name of Karnatak state?

  Both the words, Karnataka and KannaDa go back to the
same roots in Dravidian, and they are not from any
other langauge root as far as I can see. I would
very much appreciate and request Kannada scholars like
Prof. Vasundara Filliozat, Dr. Harihareshvara
and Prof. R. Zydenbos on this list to explain
how the words, KannaDa and Karnataka are explained
in KannaDa sources.

  In Tamil, CilappatikAram (pre-5th century) mentions
"karunaTar", the Karnataka people. Dr. Vasundhara told
me that Vijayanagar empire is a misnomer, and all
early inscriptions mention only Karnataka empire.
I found a valuable reference linking the words -
Karnataka and KannaDa. In the 11th century
tiruviLaiyATal purANam by perumpaRRappuliyUr nampi
(called as 'old' TP, since more elaborate TP from th
17th century also exists.) KaLabhra rulers are
said to come from "kan2n2a maNTalam".
Clearly, "kan2n2a maNTalam" refers to
"karunATaka/karnATaka".

karnATaka/kannAD can be explained in two ways:
a) "kalnAD" = boulder country, part of Deccan,
also, 'malEnAD' in Hassan area.
or
b) "karunAD" = country of black earth,
Usually black earth signifies fertility
and hence praised.
I seek guidance from KannaDa experts as to
whether a) or b) is correct.

Earlier, I have shown in this list, the consonant assimilation from
Skt. to Pkt. follows the pattern exhibited in Dravidian, and hence an
areal feature in all of India. See my mail, and Parpola and
K. Nachimuthu (Head, Dept. of Tamil, U. of Kerala, Trivandram)
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9906&L=indology&P=R4239
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9906&L=indology&P=R4492
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-shl/WA.EXE?A2=ind9906&L=indology&P=R14635

As a conclusion, you write:
>All this information project pre-history of India different from the one we
>  are told to accept without questioning.

I am not clear, are you working on any theory on pre-history
of India different from the "one we are told to accept"?
Also, what is the ancient name "Karnatak"?

Regards,
N. Ganesan

PS: Raveen is correct that Kuru and Karave (< tamil 'karai' meaning
shore) are unrelated. The MBh. Kuru can be compared with tamil 'ko_lu'
= plough, u_lavar = farmers, and k -> z change in the IVC noted by
Witzel leads the Punjabi name Shourie (as in Arun Shourie) to be
linked with Drav. "ko_lu".