SV: Integrity of academia

Arun Gupta suvidya at OPTONLINE.NET
Fri Dec 29 15:21:28 UTC 2000

is Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, whose earthly span was 1836-1886.  Therefore,
the Hindu beliefs of that period are what are appropriate in interpreting
Shiva-Linga.

The nineteenth century is not a remote time period. Plenty of contemporary
literature , as well as the originals that Kripal used should be available.
Bengali is a living language spoken by of the order of two hundred million
people, and I would expect any campus to have at least a few Bengali students
who can help.  It should be relatively easy for anyone who is interested to
verify for themselves that Swami Tyaganandaji has a valid complaint.

Remember that this is not the misinterpretation of one sentence from a
cryptic ancient text written in a dead language that was not easy even when
it was a living language.  What the Swamiji has demonstrated is a consistent
pattern of mistranslation and misinterpretation. Please address this issue
rather than minor nitpicks.

The nineteenth century is recent and I know that for most of you, your major
interest lies in time periods at least a millenium older.  Nevertheless I
believe the issues here are important as they bear directly on the standards
expected of an institution like Harvard.

-Arun Gupta