idealism, Yogacara etc.

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Dec 29 00:26:24 UTC 2000

Erik Hoogcarspel

> I 'm not very impressed by Anackers translations, I would advise
Thomas
> E. Wood: 'Mind Only' - Motilal 1994 / Hawaii U.P. 1991 - ISBN
81-208-1239-X

While not entirely endorsing Anacker's translations, I personally
dislike Wood's "idealism" interpretation of  Yogaacaara -- he is also
what one might call a "hostile witness" and seems be covertly speaking
from a Maadhyamika Bhavavivekaesque perspective (at best).  He also
conflates several different strands of Yogaacaara thought.  There are
an increasing number of scholars who are re-examining Yogaacaara and
have reached similar conclusions to myself that Yogaacaara cannot be
classified as idealism in any meaningful sense.  Try also Kalupahana's
"Principle of Buddhist Psychology" for another perspective.   Wayman
has also written several useful papers now archived on the internet
discussing the problem.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge