SV: Integrity of academia

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Thu Dec 28 18:40:06 UTC 2000

Rosati [SMTP:dante at POP.INTERPORT.NET] skrev 28. desember 2000 19:02:
>>"Later in the book (see note #144) the author inexplicably translates
>>"Shiva-linga" as "Shiva's penis." Perhaps this is because Kripal views
Shiva
>>as one who is "known for his erotic exploits." All I can say on this
point
>>is that this is not the kind of image a practicing Hindu carries in his
or
>>her heart. I have worshipped Shiva my entire life and not once when I
gazed
>>upon the Shiva linga did "Shiva's penis" enter my mind. I can assure you
>>that this is the same for millions of other practicing Hindus."

>Is the author of this statement in deep denial, or am I misinformed? I
>always thought a Shiva-linga >was< a phallic symbol, probably the most
>famous phallic symbol in existence?

The linga is most certainly a penis *originally*, and has in early art been
depicted as such. However, it is probably a long time ago that practicing
Hindus thought of it as a penis. It has long since become a powerful cosmic
symbol. You therefore have to look at historical periods when you interpret
the symbol. Kripal's critic may be in good faith, although he may be
misinformed about the early history of Shaivism. Or he may simply be busy
doing what is often done in religious circles: projecting modern ideas
backwards into the past, so that the past does not seem scandalous to
modern sensibilities. Academics are not supposed to do so, but amateurs and
theologians often do.

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,