SV: Origins of the "double-truth"

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 26 14:58:36 UTC 2000

--- Lars Martin Fosse <lmfosse at ONLINE.NO> wrote:
> It seems to me that religious
> ideas that are recorded outside the Mediterranean world (e.g. among Celts
> and Germanic tribes) are less likely to have been "imported" and more
> likely to be relics of a common tradition in the sense of Dumezil.
>
> Lincoln, by the way, is extremely critical of Dumezil.
>
> Unfortunately, any theory dealing with such early matters is likely to be
> problematic, and definite proof of one view or the other is impossible to
> find. We end up arguing about what is more or less likely.  I think I'll
> leave it at that!

Stuart Sarbacker wrote once:
<<
 There's an interesting recent article on the YS as being an extension
 of a Indo-European tradition.  It doesn't definitively address
 language but looks at "cognate" themes in the YS and the Odyssey
 among other references.  N.J. Allen "The Indo-European prehistory of
 yoga," International Journal of Hindu Studies 2, 1 (April 1998): 1-20.

 As far as I know there are suggestions of the YS being an extension
 of earlier Sanskrit sources (Hiranyagarbha, etc.) and its ideas being
 pre-Indo-European...but non-Sanskrit YS "text" I have not heard of.
 Have you found something to suggest this?

 Does Allen give examples of Yoga practices among Celta and Germanic
tribes, OR just only Greek examples? Yoga can also be a term (IE?) used
to describe a phenomenon encountered in India.