Origins of the "double truth"

Bjarte Kaldhol bjartekal at AH.TELIA.NO
Sat Dec 23 16:24:16 UTC 2000

There are, indeed, some superficial resemblances/parallels between Buddhism
and Stoicism, which may imply contact. Zenon was born in Cyprus, and he
lived almost half a millennium after the Orientalizing Revolution (Burkert)
that taught the Greeks so much - among other things, to read and write. But
to me, Buddhism is a very peculiar way of disciplining the mind, and I am
not a romantic. Emptiness has nothing to do with romantic ideas. On the
contrary:

"Discursive thoughts are like waves on the ocean.
Although they arise, their essence is empty."

And:

"This luminous perception of the present
Is the very face of relative truth.
If one knows the unfabricated, natural essence of this,
That itself is the absolute truth.
Those scholastic sophists with their two truths,
Though including a lot of quotations and logic,
do not understand the main point."

Amen, namo gurave, and no further comments.

Merry Christmas,
Bjarte Kaldhol