Questions on Indian idealism

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 22 23:19:06 UTC 2000

>From: Vidyasankar Sundaresan <vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM>

>This is simply the pUrNam adaH pUrNam idam verse in the
>bRhadAraNyaka, and it can be interpreted otherwise. More
>important sources for a two truths theory in Vedanta are
>the phrase "neti, neti" in BU 2. 3. 6, ...

I prefer pUrNam adaH approach because it forces people (especially beginners
and outsiders to advaita) to use advaita more responsibly, as it needs some
extra home work, because people have to collect other objects that are part
of the model.

Using the popular neti, neti also it is possible to dismantle the object in
question directly (without attracting mArjAla nyAyam, unlike what I said in
my last mail, sorry for this contradiction!). But this can only be done by
going after the direct cause of perception of the object in question. This
direct cause is associated with the perceiver himself or herself, and this
turns out to be a rigorous introspective approach closer to prANAyAma or
psychology more than logic. I generally prefer use of pUrNam adaH before
neti, neti.

Thanks a lot for the correction of transliterations.

Regards
Bhadraiah