Chain letters in pre-modern India

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 22 20:13:53 UTC 2000

 While the oldest missionary religion Buddhism may have liked
 to spread the Word and lay Jains pay big money to publish Jain
 books, the evidence from "Hindu" sects is NOT to spread the
 word.

 Vedas are not taught to everyone, tamil maRai 'secret' = veda.
 Zvelebil's Poets of the Powers book teaches how secretive
 are tamil Siddha tradition. Joseph Campbell has said
 "You ask. I teach." is the way of India, and voluntarily,
 spreading religious knowledge/lore was not the norm.
 Preachings for the purposes of conversion was very rare in India.