Dravidian origins

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 20 20:13:53 UTC 2000

Vanbakkam Vijayaraghavan <vijay at VOSSNET.CO.UK> wrote:
>Why look for presumably western endowments.?
>. .. why depend upon western endownments?

   There is no mention of "western" endowments, funds can come from
   east (eg. Japan or India) or west for Dravidology studies, we
   don't mind.

Several months before you started writing in the list,
the list founder forwarded a request for for funds
from you. Seeking support for Dravidian studies is no different.
<<<

   What are the western Indology scholarship's prejudices and priorities
   as they are practised now?

Vanbakkam Vijayaraghavan <vijay at VOSSNET.CO.UK> wrote:
>You are calling them Dravidian tribes, but they themselves don't use the
>word and not even aware of it. In fact even South Indian were not aware that
>till Padiri Caldwell introduced the term. Even then there were riots against
>the Reverend's theories. That was how the tamils received 'Dravidian
>ethnics' theory- with hostility.

   You wrote about "Padiri" Caldwell, and the hostility and riots against
   the Reverend's theories. Is this so? Where can i read about them?

Regards,
SM