SV: Harappan Euhemerus

Raveen Satkurunathan tawady at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 19 17:06:54 UTC 2000

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:44:01 +0000, Dominik Wujastyk <ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK>
wrote:

>Incidentally, I'm surprised nobody here has raised Thor Heyerdahl's theory
>that the IVC folk sailed to the Maldives and left inscriptions there.
>See his _The Maldives Mystery_, which, curiously, is a banned book in the
>Maldives themselves, although the research was funded by the Maldivian
>government with the backing of President Gayoom.
>
>--
>Dominik Wujastyk

Unfortunately 'official' Maldivians have a lot of problems with their
history. They want to literally bury their past prior to their Islamic
conversion and don’t want any facts, which might disturb their mythical
history.

Clarence Maloney in his well researched article titled “Where Did the
Maldives People Come From?” says  “What was not known previous to my
research in the early 1970s, is that there is a strong underlying layer of
Tamil population and culture. So far, most Divehis have not shown
themselves interested in accepting this finding, as it does not suit their
sense of their prestigious origins. Be that as it may, the evidence is
overwhelming. There is a clear Tamil substratum in the language, which also
appears in place names, kin terms, poetry, dance, and religious beliefs”

Regards
Raveen