PDF

Richard B Mahoney rbm49 at STUDENT.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Sat Dec 16 23:28:39 UTC 2000

Dear All,

It seems to me that this thread has, amongst other things, succeeded
in emphasising that the production and manipulation of file types --
especially PS and PDF files -- can involve a number of complex issues.

I would hope that the discussion has not caused anyone to shy away
from the whole idea. Postscript and PDF files remain an extremely
useful medium for sharing papers.

Could I mention, then, for those of you who don't already know, that a
great deal of assistance, often of extremely high quality, is
available from the following newsgroups:

          comp.text.tex

          comp.text.pdf

          comp.lang.postscript

Many of the issues which have been raised -- font quality,
compatability, conversion et caetera -- are discussed frequently on
these newsgroups.

Hopefully this is of assistance.

Many regards,

 Richard Mahoney

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 10:50:59PM +0100, Gunthard Mueller wrote:

> Good point.

> In fact, some of these PostScript-to-PDF converter programs are of
> extremely high quality.
> However, some of them don't allow you to directly integrate fonts into the
> PDF file.

[snip]

--
end
Richard Mahoney                              Telephone: +64-3-351-5831
NEW ZEALAND                          mailto:rbm49 at csc.canterbury.ac.nz