white as unblemish

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 15 17:50:05 UTC 2000

V. V. Raman wrote:
>Dr. Kochhar wrote: <White is not so much colour of mourning as of unblemish.>

> 1. I think this is an important statement.
>Then one might ask, <"What does black represent?"
[snip]
>3. Then again, it is rather doubtful that light-colored people and
dark-colored
>people had the same feelings/interpretations about the different skin colors.
>4. From an understanding of this as seen in ancient literature, it might be
>possible to conclude with some certainty whether there was a cultural/ethnic
>difference at some time in history between the Northern (Sanskritic) and the
>Southern (Tamil-speaking) peoples.

 It is not just Tamil-speaking peoples, most Indian peoples are
 different shades of brown and black, and more so when we look at
 the so called low castes and untouchables.

--------------------

Earlier words about Indology's future:
<<
 3. I acted like the messenger who came to Versailles to inform Marie
Antoinette
 while she was regaling that trouble was brewing in the heart of Paris. I am
 aware that I have inadvertently distracted you from your main focus, for which
 I apologize. For this offense, one member of this group politely asked me to
 leave. I will honor his request. - V.V.Raman, November 16, 2000

 What happened then?

Regards,
SM